This hearty salad makes a complete meal when served on a bed of crisp romaine lettuce.
Makes 8 1-cup servings
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 3 cups boiling water
- 3 cups cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 cucumber, peeled and sliced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon apple juice concentrate
- 1 garlic clove, pressed or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Rinse lentils, then add to a pan with boiling water. Cover loosely and simmer until just tender, about 25 minutes. Drain and transfer to a salad bowl. Cool.
- When lentils are cool, add cooked rice, onion, cucumber, tomato, and parsley.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together lemon juice, apple juice concentrate, garlic, paprika, dry mustard, and salt. Pour over salad and toss to mix.
Per 1-cup serving:
Calories: 195; Fat: 2.9 g; Saturated Fat: 0.4 g; Calories from Fat: 13.2%; Cholesterol: 0 mg; Protein: 8.6 g; Carbohydrates: 35 g; Sugar: 3.2 g; Fiber: 7.3 g; Sodium: 233 mg; Calcium: 37 mg; Iron: 3 mg; Vitamin C: 14.2 mg; Beta-Carotene: 419 mcg; Vitamin E: 0.6 mg
Source: Healthy Eating for Life for Women, by Kristine Kieswer; recipe by Jennifer Raymond, M.S., R.D.