CROCKPOT - BLACK BEAN MEXICAN DELICIOUSNESS!
Transforming to a hole foods plant-based (vegan) lifestyle can be challenging in the beginning until you learn what's on the yes list and what's on the no list, especially if you are not a fan of cooking or don't have a lot of time to prepare meals because you work full time, you have kids, etc...
My crockpot (slow cooker) has become my absolute BEST FRIEND on this journey! If you don't have one, it is an extremely wise investment! Here's an easy crockpot meal I absolutely love!
- 1 bag of dry black beans
- 1 bag of pinto beans
- 1 jalapeno, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 white onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 32 oz box of vegetable broth
- 2 cloves of garlic
- ground cumin (to taste, I put A LOT because I love the flavor)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Tony chachere - salt free (to taste)
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- fresh cilantro
- Throw all ingredients into crockpot, set to low
- Add vegetable broth and fill the rest of the crockpot up with water until beans are fully submerged
- Don't add fresh cilantro until ready to serve, sprinkle on top of meal.
Notes: This meal is best when it cooks on low overnight and throughout the next day. When you get home from work, dinner is already ready!
- I enjoy this served over yellow rice with some salsa and refried beans on the side! You can also make some cashew sour cream if you like! Here's the recipe for that!!
THE BEST DAMN VEGAN SOUR CREAM
This vegan sour cream needs only 5 ingredients and less than 10 minutes. It's the perfect topping for all your Mexican dishes or anywhere else you would normally enjoy dairy sour cream.
* Author: Savanna @ glutenfreeveganpantry.com (Serves: 2 cups)
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked overnight
- ¼ cup + 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- ½ cup water
- Place all ingredients into your blender (I used my Vitamix)
- Blend on high for 5-7 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed, until very smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a mason jar or other airtight container.
The best damn vegan sour cream can be stored in your fridge for 1-2 weeks.